19 January 2013

Beauty Boxes: Bella Box January 2013

Yes people, it's 2013! I have to apologise for being away for so long. I had all sorts of exciting things lined up for the blog, but then I came down with the flu and I could barely move for 3 weeks. I didn't even feel like using beauty products, let alone reviewing them! Drastic times. But now I'm back with the contents of my January 2013 Bella Box. And I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with this month's box. Here's what it contained:

❏ You, Me and Everybody Cool It Aloe Vera Gel, full size 100ml.
Aloe Vera Gel isn't the most exciting product, but it might come in handy for one of the very rare occasions that I spend too much time out in the sun. (As I've mentioned before, I'm completely paranoid about sun exposure and I even apply sunscreen when I know I'm going to be inside all day!) YM&E seems like a very interesting brand, and I would like to have seen something more interesting and different from them, like the Skin Mousse I received back in September.

❏ Aurora Spa Rose and Aloe Body Cleanser and Ultra Rich Body Cream, sample size 50ml each.
These products are listed separately on the card. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but to me, two products from the same brand, a pair of items if you will, would perhaps be better listed as a single product. Or at least add a 6th product to the box to make up for it. That's just me. Having said that, these products smell absolutely freakin' amazing, and I can't wait to use them! This brand appeared before in the August Bella Box. It is Australian owned and made, and not tested on animals.

❏ Natio Pure Mineral Skin Perfecting BB Cream, sample sachet 5ml.
I love my BB Creams, and perhaps I'm a little precious about them. The BB Creams made by many Western companies have gotten a bad rap in the beauty world, so I'm a little suspicious of this one. It does have green tea, chamomile and SPF 15 (I'll wear sunscreen anyway as I never settle for less than SPF 30), so it might be alright. However, it comes in an ungenerous 5ml sachet, which will probably be only enough for 2-3 applications. (Even the card says, "yes, we know it's a sachet...") It comes in Fair, Medium and Tan, and the colourway I received is Medium, which will probably be too dark for my fair skin. (This supports rumours that beauty box companies do not actually pay any attention to customers' profiles!) Seeing as it's a BB Cream though, I'm curious to give it a try anyway and see if it's any good. I'd better do it soon though while it's still Summer, or I might look like I'm one of the orange ladies from Jersey Shore. ツ

❏ Face of Australia Colour Max Eyeshadow Palette in Mercury Rising, full size.
While Face of Australia has a good reputation, it's kinda everywhere and would certainly not be classed as a 'luxury' brand. I really love eyeshadows - I'm a colour girl - so I'm glad I received this rather than the lipgloss that was the alternative (I have sooo many of those, sigh). I think I'll put this away until winter though: the greys in this palette really seem like winter colours to me. Also, the black pan is cracked, but that's the colour I'd be least likely to use anyway, so I'm not really fussed.

Summary: Other subscribers received different products this month: a Swisse body wash (their hand cream smells divine so I'm curious about their other products), Face of Australia cleansing wipes (would have come in handy), a bright pink nail polish (I already have polish in the same shade so I'm glad I didn't get it), and at least one I saw got a bonus wall decal. Taking that into consideration, I'm glad I got the products I did, but I'm still a bit disappointed. Bella Box's last few boxes have made me start to re-consider my subscription. The RRP of the products is still more than the $15 per month I pay for the box, but they just don't thrill me like they used to. (Aside from the Savoir Faire palette last month, that was pretty amazing!) I'll reserve my judgement and make a decision in a few month's time.

Stay tuned for more posts coming up soon! I'll be writing about:
* my Christmas haul!
* Etsy indie makeup purchases!
* reviews!
* Asian beauty haul!!